Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 1

     Hey there blogger, Sam Moore has landed on the blogging planet and is ready to dive in.  The subject at hand?  MMA.  I'm a strong fan of the fastest growing sport in the world, and I want to document my thoughts weekly and get some predictions in, and maybe have some feedback and discussions.  I hope to get a couple of people reading these and adding their insight, or maybe even just a couple friends, but if nothing else, i can get all of the MMA on my mind out in the open that the forums online can't seem to satisfy.  I will post everything on here from great videos to rising stars, from upcoming events to past events, and the what if's of dream matches.  without further hesitation, my first blog....

January 24th, 2011
      So this week in MMA whats up... Major events now in the dust, Edgar-Maynard 2, and another installment of Fight For the Troops.  Major events in the near future, Silva-Belfort, Penn-Fitch, and the first round of the heavyweight tournament in strikeforce, featuring Fedor Emelianenko vs Big Foot Silva.

     I will not go deep into ufc 125 resolution besides saying Frankie amazes me.  The cool head he keeps in interview after interview after these razor decisions(bj penn 1, which i actually feel he lost) is just impressive.  both fighters looked really crisp though and thats how it should be seeing as how the lightweight devision has recently surpassed welterweight as the deepest division in the UFC, and the world.   Mark my words when i say that the Fight of the year will be a lightweight bought, and 80 percent of the fight of the nights this year will be lightweight bouts.

     The most recent of notable mma events was Fight For the Troops in Fort Hood Texas.  This event was a 'can't wait to see' event because i have been very excited and hopeful for Charlie Brennemans Career.  I was lucky enough to watch all the prelims, and the main fights.  First I'll discuss Brennemans fight.  This dude has become a complete stud in the sport, and has room to grow, knows about it, and has the ability to do it.  Coming into his third fight in the promotion, Charlie knows it's win or go home after a 1-1 start under the UFC banner.  You could tell from the opening to closing bell that Charlie had prepared night and day for Amilcar Alves and it paid off.  After throwing him two wrestlers, and then a grappler/mauy thai striker, it appears he is well rounded enough for this level of competition.  I hope to see him soon test the deeper waters with a rebounding matt serra or someone of the sort, but more then likely he will get another person fighting for a job and that is really OK with me too.
                                             Another prelim eye candy was Mike Brown and Rani Yahya.  Yahya is just plain FUN to watch scramble around.  If you havn't heard of him, take a 5 minute peek on the interweb and get on the wagon, the guy is a small Demian Maia, and a miniature Fabricio Werdum.  I have never been a huge fan of Mike Brown personally but he is no joke either, especially as a grappler, and Yahya was putting a clinic on him. 
     If you feel bad for one person, feel bad for Cody McKenzie.  The guy tries to get a million wins in a row via guillotine and is stopped short at ten because they fed him to the wolves.  Actually one wolf that is; a self proclaimed 'thug-jitsu' master.  Yves Edwards  might be a veteran, but not all of the veterans fade after time like say the iceman.  You can always count on Edwards to bring some aggression and find a way to win, and that's exactly what he did in that fight.
  
     Cole Miller REALLY disappointed me Saturday night, and probably his tough as nails brother Jim Miller too.  That is all i want to say about that one sided slaughter.
     Patrick Barry might be in the wrong sport.  If you think that's unfair to say after a victory and a decent UFC start, think again.  His standoffish striking style is going to get him murdered in the heavyweight ranks.  You can do that to the Mexicutioner all you like but if you smell blood and don't hop on it then you are going to get eaten alive by and not limited to ; Cain, JDS, Carwin.  Hell even Roy Nelson WILL punish you for your 'I want to win, but not hurt you' mentality.  Please show the world the devastation you can really bring with no restraints next fight, sincerely, your job.
                                    
     My absolute favorite fight of the whole night was Mark Hominick vs George Roop.  I strongly urge you to somehow find this fight. The featherweight division now in the UFC is going to be fireworks everytime and this was a great example.  Hominicks hands looked as precise as A. Silvas on a good night, and that is saying a lot.  It now sets up a fight with Hominick and Aldo, and if you want to see a guaranteed finish then tune in for this one.  The only fight other then that championship bout I'm looking forward to this year is Fedor vs UBEReem, and that's not even guaranteed.
                                                         
     Meat head continues to surprise me.  Not that Tim Hague is top competition, but that Mitrione showed everybody he wasn't.  I will say good job Matty and nothing more because I am not a fan, just very very impressed.
                                       
     The main event on paper coming into the fight was sort of a yawn.  I see the steamrolling Dunham and the very seasoned lightning quick veteran Melvin Guillard and I should of been on the edge of my seat, but a quick analysis of that fight and you simulate Dunham winning by perfect execution of a perfect game plan and saying 'I'm here to stay'.  Now the fight comes and goes and Dunham could be two loses away from fighting for cage of fury or valley fight league.  Melvin scored a nice TKO on his grocery list like resume, and continued to say 'I promise wins in 2011 and a title shot before the year is over, i will have that belt.'  I find that really hard to believe, but a small part of me wants it to come semi-true.  I don't necessarily like Guillard, but I guess I just really enjoy the stand up game.

     So that's all I got for today, I will post again if I come across any cool videos, interviews, or matchmaking announcements.  If I don't come across anything, then I will sure post next week for some big time fight predictions on an action packed February.

2 comments:

  1. Good work Sam, good read.

    I agree on some of the things you said.. Frankie is impressive and I thought he actually beat Maynard.

    Charlie has some pretty good years ahead of him. He's a hard worker but I think he needs to get a new training regime. Go to Greg Jackson's.. he could do some wonderful things there.

    As far as this sport is concerned.. this year is seriously it's year. The Strikeforce tourney coming up, the next UFC Cards are off the hook. UFC 126 may be the best card I've seen in a long time. UFC 127 doesn't disappoint either, neither does 128 and 129 is the real deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks brad, great feedback! I agree full on with the Frankie decision, and your also right when you say its going to be a stacked year for mma. Hopefully the heavyweight tourney chalks out so we get the best fights as fans, and the UFC is showing strong signs of delivering this year as well.

    ReplyDelete